Joseph B. BerryAssociate
- Email Us
A Columbia native, Joseph recently joined the firm after serving at the Solicitor’s Office of the Fifth Judicial Circuit. There he prosecuted violent and non-violent cases, including financial crimes. His courtroom experience includes extensive motions and pleadings practice, and successfully obtaining jury trial convictions for animal cruelty, DUI, felony gun law violations, methamphetamine manufacturing and heroin distribution, and murder cases.
Joseph also led a countywide Animal Cruelty Prosecution Task Force, coordinated Columbia’s Homeless Court, a first in South Carolina project, and handled appellate matters for the Circuit.
Joseph is now eager to litigate on behalf of Lewis Babcock clients in professional malpractice, fiduciary negligence, complex business disputes, and eminent domain cases, as well as appellate matters.
Prior to law school, Joseph worked for a community-based nonprofit public policy and electoral advocacy organization. He currently remains active in his community volunteering on the Shandon Neighborhood Council, Pawmetto Lifeline’s Young Professionals Board, and with Lawyers Helping Lawyers.
- University of North Carolina
- Bachelor of Arts, 2005
- University of South Carolina
- Juris Doctorate, cum laude, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig & Robe
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Law & Education
- Moot Court Bar
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- South Carolina, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 2018
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Animal Law Committee
- Animal Welfare & Legislative Subcommittees
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Law Clerk, Lewis, Babcock & Griffin, LLP, 2013-2014
- Assistant Solicitor, Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office, 2014-2018
Articles and Presentations
- Co-author, Is Justice Delayed Justice Denied? South Carolina Lawyer (April, 2016)
- 4/18 — SC Bar CLE “Practical Knowledge for ANY Attorney”– Presenter, Columbia’s Homeless Court (Columbia, SC April 26, 2018)